Return to Health & Human Services Home Page

Your Child and Family's Intervention Rights in brief

Birth to Three services are for families with children from birth to the age of three. Birth to Three professionals can help you to enhance your child's development by working with you and your family to identify the help your child needs, how you can meet those needs, and who can help you. To be eligible for Birth to Three, your child may have a delay in development or have a diagnosed condition that may result in developmental delays. Your child can be evaluated for eligibility by contacting your county Birth to Three office. If your child is eligible, an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) will be developed along with you to plan what can be done to meet your child's needs. Parents maintain the right to give consent or to refuse to give consent for services their child receives.

No matter where you live in Wisconsin, your county is responsible for providing Birth to Three services to eligible children and their families. The Birth to Three services you and your child may receive are determined by a team during an IFSP meeting. Your IFSP team will include you, your service coordinator, and other professionals who are related to your child's individual needs. Your county Birth to Three professionals will work with you to identify outcomes for your child and family that are based on your individual needs. The types of services your family receives will depend on your identified needs, but many children and families receive such services as therapy, special instruction (educational services), family education and counseling, and transportation.

Some of your rights are:

  • To have your child's eligibility determined.
  • To access, if eligible, services that are appropriate to the individual needs of your child and family.
  • To give informed consent for any evaluations, assessments or services to which your child and family maybe entitled.
  • To refuse any services, evaluations, assessments, while keeping the services you do want.
  • Confidentiality of personal identifiable information.
  • To review or request corrections to your child's and family's records.
  • To have a friend or advocate assist you at meetings is needed.

Assistance Accessing Services:

You are entitled to have eligibility determined, and to receive assessments to help decide what services may help your child.

Assistance Coordinating Services:

You are entitled to a service coordinator who will help you to.

  • Develop a plan for services (IFSP) that meets your child and family's needs.
  • Find services that meet your family's needs now and in the future.
  • Understand your rights and what to do if you become unhappy with your services.
  • Resolution of Conflicts:

    As a parent, you have the right to disagree with decisions regarding your child's eligibility or the provision of appropriate services to your child and family. Contact your county Birth to Three program for options on how to resolve disagreements.

    Top   Back to Top
Health & Human Services
221 W. Seminary Street
Richland Center, WI 53581
Phone: 608-647-8821
Fax: 608-647-6611
Laurie Couey
For Emergency Services:
Concerns involving suicide, mental health, addiction, and other crisis situations to speak with a crisis professional.
Contact the Richland County Sheriff's Department for concerns involving child abuse or neglect to request the Children's Services On-Call Worker.
only search