Return to Health & Human Services Home Page

Elder & Disability Benefit Specialist

Our Elder & Disability Benefit Specialist can help adults who are elderly or disabled in accessing programs, benefits and legal rights. They can provide information and advocacy on a wide range of issues and assist with the application and/or appeal process for public and private benefits like Medicare, Social Security - Disability, SeniorCare, Supplemental Security Income, Medical Assistance, and supplemental insurance. We have two types of Benefit Specialists:

Elder Benefit Specialist:

Is specifically trained and supported to assist persons age 60 years old and older.

Disability Benefit Specialist:

Is specifically trained and supported to assist people with disabilities, age 18 to 59. Can begin working with a youth aged 17 years 9 months.

A Benefit Specialist is an advocate who can "cut the red tape" which can be a barrier for persons trying to understand whether they are eligible for assistance. They can also assist persons who have been denied benefits and need to appeal a decision. They help negotiate with public agencies, medical offices, or insurance companies to resolve problems.

Many of the benefit issues which seniors and adults with disabilities face are very complex. Benefit Specialists assess the situation and layout options so that persons can make an informed choice. Often a phone conversation can be sufficient to provide information and guidance, if not, Benefit Specialists are available for office appointments or home visits.

Helpful Websites:

Below is a link for the “Welcome to Medicare" educational series from the Wisconsin State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP). This series is aimed at providing information to help consumers learn about Medicare.

Top   Back to Top
Aging, Disability, & Resource Center
221 W. Seminary Street
Richland Center, WI 53581
Phone: 608-647-4616
Toll Free: 1-877-794-2372
Wisconsin Relay System 711
Fax: 608-647-6611
For Emergency Services:
Concerns involving suicide, mental health, addiction, and other crisis situations to speak with a crisis professional.
Contact the Richland County Sheriff's Department for concerns involving child abuse or neglect to request the Children's Services On-Call Worker.
only search